These guidelines include the following minimum and strongly recommended practices.
Minimum Best Practices:
- Establish detailed environmental policies and a strategy to implement them. Consistently communicate the policies in various ways to engage all employees, clients, members and visitors.
- Survey the city's event venues, hotels, transportation providers, event suppliers and local government departments to discover the environmental programs/services they offer or have undertaken (i.e. energy efficiency, water conservation, waste management, etc.)
- Compile the information in a database of suppliers of 'green' programs.
- Make staff aware of these suppliers' efforts.
- Use the information to help event organisers make their supplier selections.
- Use the information to recommend hotels and venues with environmental management practices, and/or those that minimise travel by being centrally located or on public transit routes.
- Establish a purchasing policy to buy environmentally responsible products, including EnergyStar equipment, remanufactured toner cartridges, post-consumer recycled content paper, and recyclable plastics.
Strongly Recommended Best Practices:
- Have maps of walking trails and local parks available and be ready to suggest off-site events and tours that involve event attendees in the area's natural environment with minimum impact.