Although often overlooked for city-wide events, smaller meetings and conferences are a market that can be attracted to the green meeting destination. These groups do not look to fill congress centres, but can take advantage of space available at smaller hotels and boutique properties.
So where can a meeting planner find these types of small-scale venues?
Both Fairmont and Kimpton hotels are positioning themselves as 'green meeting' chain, creating company-wide policies for environmental practices that are being rolled at many of their properties. By in large, however, few hotel chains are able to respond as a company to requests for green venues in a number of cities.
State green lodging programs can be a useful source of this information in the United States, and include:
- California Green Lodging Program
- Florida Green Lodging Program
- Green Lodging Michigan
- Hawaii Green Business Program
- New York Green Hotel Certification Program
- Maine Green Lodging Certification Program
- Pennsylvania Green Hotels & Motels
- Vermont Green Hotels
- Virginia Green Lodging
- EU Flower (Europe)
- Green Globe 21 (International)
- Green Hotels Association (USA)
- Green Key / ECOmmodation Rating Program
- Green Seal (USA)
Information on larger green conference venues can be found here.