Ok - time to start a new tradition. My annual carbon confession. I'm not proud of it, but I'm owning and disclosing it in hopes I can address it better next year.
Air travel is a necessary evil of my job and a significant source of guilt for me. Can I justify the emissions when my goal is reducing the environmental impact of the industry I work in? I commit to asking the question each time I consider flying this year.....and I encourage you to as well.
- Vancouver - Portland (x5) 4020km / 0.5 tonnes Co2
- Vancouver - Frankfurt 16126km/1.8 tonnes CO2
- Vancouver - Newark 7798km / 0.9 tonnes CO2
- Vancouver - Philadelphia 7738km / 0.9 tonnes CO2
- Vancouver - Toronto 6688km / 0.7 tonnes CO2
- Vancouver - Taipei 18158km / 2.1 tonnes of CO2
- Vancouver - Washington, DC 3088km / 0.4 tonnes CO2*
- Washington, DC - Chicago 964km / 0.1 tonnes CO2*
- Chicago - Vancouver 2853km / 0.4 tonnes CO2*
- Vancouver - Fort Lauderdale 8960km / 1 tonne CO2
- Vancouver - Ottawa 7104km / 0.8 tonnes CO2 Offset through Zerofootprint
- Vancouver - Los Angeles 3482km / 0.5 tonnes CO2
- Vancouver - Nanaimo (x2) 220km / 0.1 tonnes CO2 Offset through Offsetters.ca
TOTAL: 87,199 km / 10.2 tonnes CO2
* One-way; all flights are return unless indicated one-way.
Calculations based on the flight calculator provided by The CarbonNeutral Company.