Thursday, 28 August 2008

Sustainability Shortlist

Seek me a green city!

Wouldn't I love to hear that from a client: We want to hold a green meeting, so find us the most sustainable destination!

Why would I love it? Quite frankly: I'm lazy. I know that if I can find a city with an infrastructure and culture that supports sustainability that it is going to be much easier to plan a green meeting. Odds are vendors will already be sustainability-minded and essential conditions for things like transit and recycling will be in place.

So where would I seek the city? Following is a list of online tools that can help you shortlist cities for sustainable practices. As with any list or index make sure you pay attention to the criteria that are used and that they align with your philosophies.

Best Places to MeetGreen
Grist Magazine's Top 15 Cities and Smartish Cities Lists
Environmental Performance Index (Columbia & Yale Universities)
Ethical Traveler Destinations Report
Mercer Quality of Life Index
America's 50 Greenest Cities

Smarter Travel Top 10 Green Destinations
Walkscore
Sustain Lane
Green Meeting Industry Council
Green Globe

No comments: