Wednesday, 30 March 2011

Red pill? Or Blue pill?


Morpheus: I imagine that right now you're feeling a bit like Alice. Tumbling down the rabbit hole?

Shawna: Actually yes. Feels kind of like that some days. The face of events is changing. More virtualization and hybrid experiences. Social networking is taking over the world. Natural disasters can throw a wrench in the most perfect of plans. Economic realities are still pressing cutbacks in travel, incentives and meetings. Increasing labor unrest. And then there's the environment, the rising cost of fuel making all of us to wonder if the event and travel industry as it is will survive. It's tough slogging for an event professional.

Morpheus: Do you believe in fate, Shawna?

Shawna: No.

Morpheus: Why not?

Shawna: Because I don't like the idea that I am not in control of my life. I believe I have a choice. I have an influence.

Morpheus: *Skeptical* You have the look of a woman who accepts what she sees because she is expecting to wake up.

Shawna: *Thoughtful pause* No. I don't think so. The world is changing and the nature of events is changing. My choice is to jump in and become the transformation. Or I could delude myself that change is not happening. Keep doing things as they've always been done because somehow, through some miracle, things have to swing back to how they used to be. We both know that's unlikely to happen, Morpheus.

Morpheus: Then this is your last chance. You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and you believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Shawna: *Pauses. Chooses red. Joins Engage365*

If you're an event or destination professional and you've not yet heard of Engage 365 you might want to lay off the blue pill for a little bit and try out the red pill. Right now there are thousands of professionals who are looking to engage attendees, members and customers beyond the traditional event model, experimenting in new methods of meeting that actively engage technology and social media and contribute to sustainability.

But be careful, in joining the Engage365 matrix you just may find out there is no "meeting". Err...I mean spoon.

2 comments:

Jenise Fryatt said...

So glad you chose the Red Pill Shawna!! You are a HUGE asset to the community. Thanks for this excellent post!!

Shawna McKinley said...

Hey Jenise,

Thanks for your comment and making me feel so welcome! Have learned so much already from the network so hope more folks will check it out!