Me? I've decided I'm going to call my parents. And I'm going to say 'thanks'.
- Taking me to the beach so I could swim even though I couldn't walk.
- Packing up us kids in the Volvo to go camping, even if it was only a few kilometers from home.
- Letting me take over a patch of the yard to try to grow a vegetable garden...in September.
- Making me walk to the bus stop and, yes, take the bus.
- Indulging my pleas to have a fish tank, even when I didn't always clean it and would sob when I had to bury casualties I'd caused.
- Signing my permission slip to travel abroad at 13 to see how the rest of the world lives.
Your direct experience of the world - it's births, lives and deaths - cultivates an appreciation of that which connects us and sustains us.
So, thanks, Mum and Dad. Happy Earth Day. Everyday.