Friday, 27 April 2012

Planting Daffodils

  • Buy certified organic food
  • Maintain property landscaping without use of chemical pesticides
  • Use environmentally certified cleaners
If I had a dollar for every time I've added these three items to an event RFP, contract or checklist I'd have, well, a fair bit of money. I don't really think too much about them each time I evoke them, beyond the fact they contribute to reducing toxins in our environment which is a good thing. They've become like my telephone number: I know them by heart and repeat them without much thought.

Recently, however, the world has taken a yellow hue, and it's not just the Daffodils on lapels and at grocery checkouts throughout my neighbourhood that I see. It's the yellowing of the world where life intersects with illness. The realisation that things like cancer do not just happen to someone else.

On December 27 these three lines on my green meeting checklist took on a more personal meaning. That was the day my Mum lost her battle with cancer. She didn't work as a housekeeper. She didn't work as a farm labourer. Or a landscaper. Yet cancer found her and took her far far too early.

So my urging is heartfelt when I ask: if you live in Canada and you have time and resources please support Daffodil Day. If you don't, take time to learn about the impact of toxins: on yourself, your family and your co-workers, as well as our environment. Make an effort to understand why these sustainable event requirements are so important to those who ask for them. You'll have our deepest thanks.

Researching the Problem
Regulation / Standards Governing Toxins
Creating Solutions

No comments: