Sunday, 15 July 2012

Using event powers for good: How one small community event influences attendees about sustainability

Over the last few months myself and the lovely Judy Kucharuk have talked about the power of event organisers to influence environmental change. I had another example of this today when I took in a little event in my own back yard.

Party at the Pier is a small, family-oriented weekend event that celebrates the maritime history of my neighbourhood in North Vancouver. Taking a stroll trough the site today I stumbled upon some cool examples of event planners using their powers for good: providing opportunities for attendees to learn about and engage in sustainability. How?

Events as EDUCATION about sustainability:

Port Metro Vancouver shares some of their sustainability initiatives through interpretive signage.

Events as CONVERSATION about sustainability:

BC Hydro's interactive games and displays encourage discussion about how families can be Power Smart.

Events as PLEDGE about sustainability:

Burrard Inlet's Environmental Action Program's Ambassador's Pledge to help improve city water quality.

Events as ACTION about sustainability:

Metro Vancouver's water refill stations help to reduce use of individual bottled water at events.

Nice work! How are you using your influential powers for good at your events?

2 comments:

The Green-Eyed Event Planner said...

I am blushing Shawna....thank you.

Don't you love how we are beginning to see so many unique and thoughtful ways to engage and learn about sustainability? The imaginative ways that folks are influencing environmental change, gives me so much hope for our future :)

Judy

Urban Earthworm said...

I love this post. This is exactly what our Green Sanctuary program is looking to start in our community. I will refer the committee to this post at our next meeting!